Israel Army IDF Sayeret Givati Insignia. The Givati Brigade is one of the infantry brigades in the Israel Defense Forces. It was formed in December 1948 and placed under the command of Shimon Avidan. Before that it participated in Operation Yoav (October 15-22, 1948). Its role was to capture the areas of Hulikat, Kawkaba and the junction which is today known as the Givati Junction. Later it was disbanded but was reestablished in 1983 and still exists today. Since 1999 it serves under the Southern Command (Pikud Darom). Givati soldiers are designated by purple berets. The Brigade's symbol is the fox, alluding to Shualei Shimshon (lit. Samson's Foxes), a unit in the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. As of 2007, the Givati brigade is organized into three main battalions: Shaked, Tzabar, and Rotem, in addition to associated reconnaissance, engineering, and other units. Tags, pins, insignias and badges of the Israeli armed forces have been and continue to be a source of pride and comfort to Jewish people the world over, in the knowledge that today there is a military force ready to protect the Jewish people from harm, after such long suffering throughout Jewish history. This is why many people enjoy collecting these items, as each one represents the people who have carved their way to victory on the battlefronts of the middle east in order to protect the citizens of Israel. In today's day and age, we realize that the human spirit and the media are even more formidable weapons than armor, however, without this army, there would be no chance for the Jewish people to survive on the small piece of land that they occupy, and this in itself is a great miracle.